Asylum or Refugee Immigration

Individuals that have held refugee or asylum status for at least one year may be eligible for lawful permanent residency.


You should apply for lawful permanent residency on Asylee Form I-485, application to Register Permanent Residence of Adjust Status. You must have been in the U.S. under asylee status for at least one year.


In addition to Form I-485, the following documents and forms are also required:

  • Fingerprint fee (if you are between the ages of 14 and 79)
  • Form I-485 filing fee
  • Form G-28 (if applicable), signed by both you and your attorney/representative
  • 2 photos in an envelope stapled to lower left corner of Form I-485. Please write your name and A-number (if you know it) in light pencil on the back of each photo.
  • Signed Form G-325, if you are age 14 or older.
  • Form I-693 Medical with Vaccination Supplement. An INS authorized civil surgeon must conduct this medical examination and complete the form.
  • Evidence of Asylee Status. This may include a copy of your Form I-94 and a legible copy of the letter granting you asylum.
  • Form IRS-9003, optional.
  • Form I-602, Application by Refugee for Waiver on Grounds of Excludability, if applicable.
  • Evidence that you have been in the U.S. for at least one year.
  • Proof of any absences from the U.S. since you have been granted asylum.
  • A birth certificate or other birth record.
  • Proof of any legal name changes made since you were granted asylum status.